We’re Hiring – Senior Linux System Administrator
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter with your CV, answering the following questions:
- Are you currently employed? If so, what are your day-to-day tasks in your current job?
- What kind of position are you looking for? In other words, what would you like to be doing daily?
- If currently employed, are there any specific reasons why you are looking for a new job opportunity?
- What was the toughest challenge you’ve faced regarding a Linux issue?
- What is your mindset regarding working overtime outside of business hours if necessary?
- In what area of IT/IT technology are you strongest? (It could be something like Security, Linux, cPanel, DirectAdmin, Windows, etc)
- Would you say you have an above-average skill set with cPanel? If so, why?
We are seeking a skilled, self-motivated Senior Linux System Administrator to join our team at HOSTAFRICA. We are looking for a hard-working, self-managed, persistent team member who enjoys solving problems and achieving their goals.
We are a fast-growing, leading web and server hosting company operating in the private cloud space. We are based in South Africa with many subsidiaries and employees all over the world. Our services include dedicated servers, virtual machines and containers, cloud backups, website hosting, and reseller programmes.
You will work in a small team of System Administrators (Sysadmins) and Web Hosting Operations (WebOps) experts who work with our Support Engineers to provide world-class services and technical support to our local and international clients.
Our clients are our top priority and our standard of service and support are second to none. It’s of utmost importance that our services run seamlessly and our clients’ issues are resolved with speed and accuracy. Your work is extremely important.
The ideal candidate should be able to promptly resolve Level 3 ticket escalations, assist the WebOps team with cPanel-related tasks, and possess a strong ability to work independently and manage their own Linux projects, including but not limited to scripting with Bash or Python and using Ansible for automation.
This position reports to the Head of System Administrators, with the opportunity for growth to become Head of our WebOps team.
- Promptly resolve Level 3 ticket escalations.
- Assist the WebOps team with cPanel-related tasks.
- Troubleshoot Linux services and diagnose network issues.
- Configure Linux firewalls and other security measures to ensure system security.
- Work in collaboration with other Sysadmins/WebOps to decide and prioritise projects.
- Independently manage and complete projects without micro-management.
Skills and experience required
- At least professional proficiency in English, ideally fluent.
- Minimum 2 years of Linux experience. Strong Linux skills include but are not limited to, the ability to troubleshoot services, diagnose network issues, and configure Linux firewalls.
- Posses the persistence to work on a problem despite its difficulty or complexity until it’s resolved.
- Ability to read software manuals and use Google (or other search engines) to solve problems on your own.
- Ability to learn quickly and work independently.
- Self-motivated and able to manage and complete own projects.
Highly beneficial skills and qualifications
- RHCSA certification.
- Experience with cPanel.
- Bash or Python scripting skills.
- Knowledge of DNS and domains.
- Experience with server virtualisation.
- Windows troubleshooting skills.
- Experience with GUIs for managing virtual machines.
- Ansible automation skills.
Working at HOSTAFRICA as a sysadmin
- Type: This is a permanent, full-time job.
- Time zone and hours: UTC+2 (9 am-6 pm South African time, including a 1-hour break).
- Must reside and be legally authorised to work in South Africa.
- Save petrol money: 100% remote position, work from the comfort of your home. If you’re in Cape Town, you can choose to work some days at our office in Somerset West.
- Generous skill-based remuneration: Monthly salary range: R40,000 – R65,000+ (depending on skills and qualifications).
- Annual performance-based bonuses.
- Benefits: Medical aid contribution.
- Equipment: We provide a work laptop and power solutions to combat load-shedding.
- Meaningful work: The work you will do will have a significant impact on HOSTAFRICA, making this an opportunity for impactful work.
- Overtime: You will be required to work overtime during emergencies (time-sensitive issues).
- Learn: Support for upskilling and certifications.
- Growth opportunities: HOSTAFRICA is growing at a rapid pace, allowing for huge growth opportunities and roles.
- Self-managed: This is NOT a position for those who require micro-management.
- Start-up freedom: Working in this team is similar to working at a startup, a fast-paced environment in a small team without layers of corporate red tape. This allows for freedom and flexibility in your work, approach, and solutions.
- International: work with a diverse team of talented co-workers from around the world.
If you are a self-motivated individual who is passionate about solving problems and building amazing solutions that make a difference and get recognition, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity at HOSTAFRICA.
Send your CV to: career[at]hostafrica.com